Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Language Arts/Social Studies/Technology/ESL Lesson

https://w.taskstream.com/Lesson/View/15CA48E940C538C57ACB48112DEFD2E2

Pre-Lesson Reflection:

My second lesson is geared toward ESL students whose first language is Spanish. It integrates Social Studies, Language, and Technology. It requires students to compose a friendly letter in correct format to send to an internet pen pal, or key pal, from Australia. The letter will include information about the student and a description of a current event that they have researched on the internet. The letters will be written in English but the response from the students in Australia will be written in Spanish. 

   Assessing Prior Knowledge: 
When teaching this with the targeted grade level  prior experience will be assessed by the amount of time spent referring to the friendly letter format that will be handed out prior to beginning the writing. Also, based on the level of familiarity with completing internet research.
From assessing students' prior knowledge, I would expect to learn whether or not they have composed a letter before, how much time they spend with technology, and if they understand the concept of a current event.
This information will be useful in the planning process because I will know how much time I need to spend monitoring the students while they are conducting their research in case they need any help or if they need to use partners during research.
                     
   Plans Instruction: 
My goals, objectives, and outcomes are clearly stated because they are specific.
 My goals, objectives, and outcomes are appropriate for students because they are age-ppropriate and students are able to achieve them during a process they will enjoy and be engaged in
My goals, objectives, and outcomes are aligned to state standards because they are directly connected with the standards in social studies and ESL.
   Designing Instruction: 
My instructional design is contextually and logically organized because I begin with an interesting and exciting anticipatory set and allow ample time for research, composition, and revision.
My instructional design uses varied instructional methods that meet individual student needs and target higher order thinking skills by allowing for student choice, letting the student demonstrate their ability to write in English by composing a letter to a peer rather than the teacher and letting them describe things they are interested in. Is designed so that if a student likes one of those subjects but not another, they will still enjoy the activity and see that the two are similar, therefore potentially increasing interest in the previously disliked subject.Additionally, I provide many accommodations.
My instructional design  aligns with research based understanding of technology integration by utilizing the practice of skills that will be used in real life situations such as writing letters or emails, communication over the internet, and research skills.
Addresses:
Safe, legal, and ethical use of digital information and technology by not allowing them to simply copy and paste information. Rather, they must research, read, and describe in their own words.
Digital etiquette and responsible social interactions by being monitored by the teacher prior to being sent.
Meeting diverse needs of learners through learner-centered strategies and equitable access by allowing students to research topics that they find personally interesting.
 Global awareness and digital-age communication by communicating with another culture through internet means.
   Planning Assessment: 
My assessment tools demonstrate the performance of linked goals and/or objectives by integrating social studies, language arts, and technology by assessing all aspects of the lesson, even less formal elements.
 My assessment tools demonstrate student engagement in higher order thinking by making sure certain elements are included, asking students to compose their own letter, and having them describe something they have learned about.
My assessment tools demonstrate meeting individual student needs by being broad enough so that if students complete the goals in different ways, they still receive the appropriate grade.

Post-Lesson Reflection
 Instructional Decisions/Teaching: 

 The teaching and facilitating process taught me that I need to make sure to be very clear when describing the activity. The activities that I used for the mock-lesson with my classmates is very different than what I would ask my students in my future classroom. Therefore, I could have been more clear about highlighting the differences and the positive aspects of the lesson such as thorough analysis of differentiated instruction and support of student learning. I think I could have described these better to my classmates. I am still very confident in my lesson though.
  My objectives were aligned to the standards because the rubric and objectives directly addressed the standards I was covering.
My modifications for individual needs included the ability to use an online resource or dictionary for necessary translations in the composition of the letter. Also, students are able to choose the current event to write about, which makes the writing personal to them.
Assessment of Learning: 
The evidence I have indicates   my students' level of success in achieving the lessons goals is from their ability to compose a letter in the correct format, the quality of information included in the letter, and the ability to use English successfully.
                        the level of success you had in teaching the lesson
This is supported by my individual reflections because I predicted it would go well, and it did. I prepared and though out every aspect of the lesson which made it run smoother. I am confident to use this in my future classroom now.
This is also supported by the comments from my classmates because they said I was successful in my implementation of the lesson and only had a few slight suggestions. They seemed engaged and gave me positive feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment